Edmund Skinns started the business in Kirkstead in 1906 to provide agricultural engineering expertise to the agricultural community cultivating the fertile soils around Woodhall Spa.
From the early days he was in the forefront of many developments being one of the first to use oxyacetylene welding at his premises and on the farms.
This progressive theme has been continued over the years; in wartime making searchlight parts, and later handling and milling equipment. In the early 1970's equipment was designed and manufactured for splitting and polishing peas and lentils followed by involvement in mechanising poultry systems, and liquid pig feeding.
The business was incorporated in 1986 by the third generation - David Skinns.
From 1992 it has been involved in the development and manufacture of equipment for draining sports fields, golf courses, stadia, airfields, and amenity areas. These include laser- guided trenching machines, gravel carts, backfilling hoppers etc; which are being sold worldwide by Shelton Sportsturf Drainage.
Important also is the service provided to the agricultural community in Lincolnshire. Being centrally situated we have an on-farm machinery breakdown section catering for those cases where equipment cannot readily be moved to our works for repair.
In 2000 the Company was bought by D.B. & E. Shelton who continue the progressive policy of the Skinns family.
Our shop-floor technicians have been with the Company many years and keep abreast of the latest developments in agricultural engineering. Computer aided design (CAD) and laser profiling are used extensively enabling machine-build to fine tolerances.